Walking Through the History of East Dorset Village
A walk though East Dorset’s history will take place on Sunday, August 25, beginning at the Wilson House at 2 p.m. The town of Dorset, encompassing six square miles of land, was chartered and named by Governor Benning Wentworth of the New Hampshire on August 20, 1761. The villages of the eastern valley of town are East Dorset and North Dorset, the sources of two rivers – Otter Creek flowing north and the Battenkill, flowing south. Mount Aeolus frames the view to the west with the Green Mountains to the east. The Bennington Rutland Railroad arrived in 1852; Route 7 bypassed East Dorset Village in the 1930s. Zachariah Curtis was the first settler in the east side of Dorset town, opening a hotel near the corner of Route 7 and the entrance to Emerald Lake State Park in 1796. Marble quarrying began in 1808 on the east side of Mount Aeolus. Large blocks were moved down the mountain via the Inclined Quarry Railroad and milled at plants in North and East Dorset. Much evidence remains of the industry that supported and shaped the growth of East Dorset village. The history walk will search out the clues that lurk behind the facades of the various buildings and try to interpret the effect the marble industry had on this village. The walk is a program presented by Ruth Stewart for the Dorset Historical Society. The Society is working to enlarge its East Dorset collection and welcomes contact with East Dorset residents, past and present, who have memories, photos and any memorabilia that might contribute to telling the story of the village. For more information contact the Dorset Historical Society at 802-824-0331 or visit dorsetvthistory.org.